5 Quick Essentials for Digital Publishers
April 11, 2012 by Joy Curtis
As digital publishing progresses at break-neck speeds, it’s easy to overlook some essential points publishers need to consider. Take a moment now and double-check that all bases are being covered, starting with these 5 quick essentials for all digital publishers:
1. Definable goals: Before you begin design or content creation, consider your goal in creating a digital edition. Brand expansion? Reaching a mobile audience? Catering to the digital age? Growing readership and engagement? We can help you identify which goals should be front and center, and give you tips on how best to reach them.
2. Proper design: Depending on your goals, your design needs might change. For instance, if you want to design for iPad viewers, you’ll need to consider portrait and landscape views. If your audience is primarily on desktops, you’ll want to explore interactivity expectations.
3. A good metrics dashboard: If you don’t know how your audience is interacting with your digital edition, you can’t know what works! If you’re not sure what you should be looking for, our Success Manager will help you create a customized dashboard which quickly highlights data relevant to your goals.
4. Sponsorship opportunities: Print models of selling ad space on the page is still a workable model, but there are a lot more opportunities with selling into a digital edition. Additional real estate around the publication is just one example. Ask your Success Manager about our other monetization ideas to learn more.
5. A firm grasp on free v. protected content: Before you push to the public, consider your options in providing free or protected content. Just because you CAN put something behind a gate doesn’t mean you should. Conversely, just because your content is free, doesn’t mean you can’t ask readers to provide some information to access it. It will all come down to your circulation needs and goals.
If you find yourself on the beginner’s side of the digital publishing spectrum, download our free Digital Publishing Cheat Sheet for more information to consider prior to publishing.